Thursday, January 22, 2015

Maternity Leave

O maternity leave, how I have a love hate relationship with you. In full disclosure I had the best baby (I know everyone says that but I'll tell you why).  My son slept 18-20 hours a day for the first two months of his life and during month 3 it was about 16 hours.  As I sat home, in the middle of winter with daytime television while my son slept the day away I was overcome with feelings of boredom and loneliness.   I looked forward to going back to work, as I put it "using my brain" and having that social interaction again.  I felt sorry for my husband who I looked to as my only source of daily companionship and whose life I felt I was living vicariously through.  However that all changed around week 10 when my little guy showed his personality.  My days started to fill with playtime and giggles, I wasn't ready to go back to work like I had been a few week prior.  Just as I felt like I was able to bond with my child I was forced to go back to work or risk loosing my job.  This doesn't seem fair to myself or my child.

The United States is one of only 4 countries that does not mandate some form of paid paternal leave. 
The federal standard for maternity leave is 12 weeks of unpaid job-protected leave under the family and medical leave act (http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/). How is any two income household supposed to prepare for 3 months without pay on top of all the expenses and medical bills associated with a new baby.  For this fact many parents are left heading back to work before both themselves and their child is ready.  Something needs to be done about this.

This is a petition to change the 12 weeks of unpaid leave to 12 weeks of PAID leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment